21 Jun Plastic Free July is almost upon us!
Are *YOU* keen to take the challenge?
The Plastic Free July Organisation – Join millions of people reducing their plastic waste.
“Plastic Free July is a global movement that helps millions of people be part of the solution to plastic pollution – so we can have cleaner streets, oceans, and beautiful communities. Will you be part of Plastic Free July by choosing to refuse single-use plastics?”
The organisation allows you to sign up and to choose how far you would like to get involved for the month, i.e not use single use plastic or avoid the top 4 offending plastics or go the full hog and avoid plastic completely for the month of July, you can also select how long you wish to take the challenge, with hopes that it will become your lifestyle!
To get started, click on over to the Plastic Free July website, here
Here you will find everything you need to kick-start the month and hopefully, long after that.
We loved this “My Challenge Choices”
And as if any further encouragement was needed here are some rather shocking plastic facts…
- Some 18 billion pounds of plastic waste flows into the oceans every year from coastal regions. That’s the equivalent of five grocery bags of plastic trash sitting on every foot of coastline around the world.
- 40 percent of plastic produced is packaging, used just once and then discarded.
- Shoppers in the United States use almost one per resident per day. Shoppers in Denmark use an average of four plastic bags a year.
- Let this one sink in! Nearly half of all plastic ever manufactured has been made since 2000.
- Nearly a million plastic beverage bottles are sold every minute around the world. In 2015, Americans purchased about 346 bottles per person— 111 billion plastic beverage bottles in all.
These facts and more are from: National Geographic
If going plastic-free seems a bit too daunting, start small. Start an EcoBrick, use a reusable coffee cup, refuse plastic straws, these small acts all make an impact!