31 Jan Make your own EcoBrick
Many of the single-use products that we use every day have damaging effects on the environment. EcoBricks provide us with a sustainable solution to re-use non-biodegradable or recyclable waste such as foil, some plastic or styrofoam.
EcoBricks are made by using solid, non-biodegradable waste placed into plastic bottles to a set density, making them suitable building blocks for any structure. From furniture to walls and sheds, EcoBricks are great for sealing away plastic waste that would otherwise be sent to a landfill.
Make your own EcoBrick in 5 easy steps:
- Collect, clean and dry plastic waste at home. Items such as foil, cling wrap or any other non-recyclables will be sure to fill up your ecobrick.
- Compress waste into a plastic bottle with a stick. An old-fashioned wooden spoon handle does the trick.
- Pack tightly after every level to ensure the waste is properly compacted.
- Squeeze the bottle with your hand to check if it’s tight and full enough or tries standing on it to see if it holds your weight.
- Seal tightly with the bottle top! And now you’re ready to use your EcoBrick.
Alternatively, donating your EcoBricks to a great cause will put it to good use. Check out these EcoBrick initiatives and get involved:
- CPT: City of Cape Town – Wynberg Drop-off facilities
- JHB: https://www.earthwarrior.co.za/pages/ecobricks
- DBN: http://likhonithemba.co.za/contact/
Going Green and making your own EcoBricks are an easy and practical way for anyone to make a substantial contribution towards reducing plastic waste.